My discovery about microwaving cooking came quite by accident. We found a tiny kitten in our yard late one night. She was wet, cold, and hungry and she weighed 8 ounces (1/2 pound). The photo, taken the first night, shows a teaspoon in the foreground. She also had not been weaned and had a tough time trying to eat from the lid of a mayonnaise jar. (I don’t know anything about the mother.)
Who doesn’t love their microwave? It is one of our greatest conveniences, to have hot food or drink in seconds, or to prepare dinner in minutes.
I want to pause here with this disclaimer: if you believe the government would never allow anything to be made available to the American public that would potentially harm them in any way, you probably should not waste your time reading any further. However, if you do not know what dangers are lurking around us and want to become a more educated consumer, please read on!
The tiny kitten was very hungry and tried to eat the mixture I prepared that night. Early the next morning, I headed out to buy “kitten milk replacer.” I chose the liquid over the powder, thinking that would be the most natural and healthy choice.
Once the can was opened, the milk had to be refrigerated. For the next use, the temperature of the milk had to be warmed. The kitten (now named Pepi) ate very little at each feeding, so I warmed the small amount of milk in the microwave for a few seconds.
After a few days, Pepi became lethargic. Her weight dropped to 6 ounces, and she was sleeping most of the time - on a person or on the heating pad. I knew she was in trouble. After talking with someone who had used kitten replacement milk, I went back to the store and bought the powdered milk.
The powdered milk was mixed with warm water – not from the microwave but from the kitchen faucet. On the day following the switch to powdered milk, Pepi weighed 7 ounces and showed signs of activity. With each day on the powdered milk mixed with warm faucet water, she showed signs of improvement. She became more active as her weight continued to increase.
Here is Pepi now, at 3 1/2 years old, with her best friend. This is not a blog about vet care. If I had had unlimited funds, I would have gone to a vet; however, I couldn’t pay a small fortune for testing to see why the kitten was failing. I realized there was a problem and that something had to change. I am not convinced my vet would have realized the problem in time to save the kitten, but I feel certain I would have had a gigantic bill.
Instead, this story is about how I realized I would have soon killed Pepi by continuing to microwave her food. The stark reality of this incident led me to further investigate microwave cooking.
Although it seems there is always information available on the Internet to support both sides of any question, I feel this first-hand experience is worth sharing. For those who want to read further, here is a link by Dr. Mercola about microwave hazards: http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards2.htm
Do I still use my microwave? Yes, but only to warm up coffee and occasionally to heat leftovers. When I heat leftovers, I know I am only satisfying my momentary hunger and do not regard that food as having nutritional value.
For people suffering from significant health problems and who are trying to eat in a more healthy way, microwave cooking should be eliminated, just to be on the safe side. Heating a bowl of fresh organic broccoli in the microwave may instantly make it little more than fiber. The nutritional benefits may well have been compromised. After what I experienced with feeding my kitten, I will never believe microwave cooking is "harmless".
Yes, conventional cooking takes longer, and there might be more dishes to wash, but our health is being compromised in more ways than we can imagine. Whether it’s a three minute dinner or a bag of popcorn, stop using the microwave on a daily basis. Improving our health, like anything else worthwhile, takes a little effort!